Mah Buddahs

Mah Buddahs

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

I have a too many pets. And yes, they are a pain ass.

There.  I said it.  I have two dogs, one of which is a Great Dane coming in at just under 200 lbs.  I have 4 cats, 2 fish and a mouse.  Sometime they piss me off.  And I love each and every one of them.  Why am I telling you this?  Because I am getting ready to move across the country and I have to find a rental property and it is proving quite difficult to find a decent place with my brood.  Any time I mention it, the first words out of everyone's mouths are "just get rid of them."  To which I reply with a resounding "Fuck off."

Would it be infinitely more convenient to not have them? Yes.  It would be a lot more convenient to not have my kid, too, but that's not an option either.  Each of these souls came into my life for a reason.  They picked me.  That may sound ridiculous to some of you, but not to me.  I don't take in every stray.  I don't belong on an episode of Animal Hoarders.  There are some days I'd like to kick them all to the curb, right along with the kid.  But I can't.  They are mine.  And I love them.



When you bring a pet into your home it is for their entire life.  They are yours and you are theirs.  Not just until they become inconvenient, or your life changes, or whatever the excuse may be.  So yeah, I may bitch about my animals, especially in relation to my living situation, but please, don't tell me to get rid of them.  Thanks.

2 comments:

  1. I feel your pain.

    Over the years we made many a move with pets. It was always an adventure. It was usually my husband that was stuck driving w/the pets while I flew w/small children. Believe it or not, I got the better end of that deal. My husband didn't love the pets as much as the kids & I did but he loved us so he drove halfway across the country w/the dog & cats & a bird that tweeted the entire trip. Then there was the move w/the dog & 3 cats in a snowstorm. All of the cats pooped 20 minutes into the trip. He drove for hours, then stopped at a hotel for the night & cleaned them up. The next morning they pooped again 20 minutes into the trip. When he arrived at our new house, he made me sit in the car & close the door so I could smell what he had endured for hours. Then I got to bathe the cats.

    Since my husband passed away I don't have anyone to tell me no. Now I really have too many pets but they all needed us(except the new puppy-we needed her).They are all well cared for & happy & a teenager told me the other day that she was surprised that my house didn't smell like pets so I guess you won't be seeing me on hoarders.

    Yes, they are pains in the ass sometimes but isn't everyone that you love?

    Good luck with your move. Surely some animal lovers own rentals in the area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really needed to hear that. Thank you. I hope you are right. What's crazy is that we own a house is the city I am moving to, but we have tenants living in it with a two year lease. We are very liberal with our pet policy as landlords, so maybe so of that karma will kick in.

      It just really irks me when people just cast off their pets. You can't trust 'em. Sorry. I'm grumpy this morning. :)

      Delete